We made FLASHBACK 2019 PART 1 & 2. In the same way, we wanted to make a wonderful calendar 2020 too but unfortunately the COVID 19 pandemic has just changed the world and put us all in a great trouble. 10 millions positive in six months and death of thousands of people has just broken everyone’s spirit. So here I am trying to give you a quick reminder of important events/happenings in first half of the year. I wish we soon create cure to this disease and world gets back to track like before.
- India successfully test-fires the 3,500 km strike range nuclear-capable K-4 submarine-launched ballistic missile off the coast of Andhra Pradesh.
- The Indian Women Hockey Team player Rani Rampal has won the “World Game Athlete of the Year, 2019” title. She is the first hockey player in the world to achieve that.
- On January 30, 2020, the World Health Organization declared International Health Emergency. PHEIC is Public Health Emergencies of International Concern. According to IHR (International Health Regulations, 2005) of WHO.
India’s scenario : India so far has reported its first case of novel corona virus in Kerala.
- The first underwater Metro is being constructed in Hooghly river. The project is awaiting clearance of 2.8 million USD from the Indian Railways.
- Every year on February 28, India celebrates National Science Day to mark the discovery of Raman Effect by Sir C V Raman. Raman Effect was discovered by the professor on February 28, 1928. This year, the National Science Day is celebrated under the theme ‘Women in Science.’
2. Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) won the Delhi Assembly Elections 2020 by gaining majority in 70-seat assembly. The party won a total of 62 seats; leaving behind the Bhartiya Janata Party and Congress. Kejriwal takes oath as Delhi’s Chief Minister on February 16, 2020.
3. Former President of Egypt, Hosni Mubarak, passed away. He was 91-years-old. The funeral took place in an eastern suburb of Cairo on 26 February.
4. US president Donald trump arrives india on a 2 day official visit. Trump inaugurated world’s largest cricket stadium “Motera” in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- On March 31, 2020, the “Extraordinary G20 Trade and Investment Ministerial Virtual Meet” was held through video conferencing. The Union Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal represented India at the meet.
- On March 30, 2020 the International Table Tennis Federation ( ITTF ) announced that it is suspending all the planned events till June 30, 2020.
- After ‘Janta Curfew’ on March 22, Government of India declared nationwide lockdown from March 24 to April 14.
- Since 2007, every year millions participate in the campaign called “Earth Hour” on March 28. The event is organized by the World wide Fund. Earth Hour is held every year on the last Saturday of March.
- The coronavirus outbreak has been labelled a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- The US crude oil prices fell below $0 mark amid the ongoing COVID-19 crisis on April 20, 2020. The price of crude oil West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crashed to – USD 40.32 a barrel in the worst ever fall in the history of mankind. Previously, such kind of fall in oil prices was witnessed right after the World War II.
2. Gene Deitch, the Director of Tom and Jerry and Popeye cartoon series, passed away at 95. Deitch was an illustrator, producer, director and animator. In 1960, he won the Academy Awards (Oscars) for his film ‘Munro’.
3. The Reporters without borders recently released its annual World Press Freedom Index. As per the World Press Freedom Index 2020, India was ranked at 142nd position out of 180 countries in terms of freedom of Press.
4. Internationally acclaimed actor Irrfan Khan and veteran actor Rishi Kapoor passes away respectively on 29th and 30th of the month.
5. The National Panchayati Raj Day is observed on 24 April in India.
- The World Health Organization recently suspended its trials on the efficacy of the drug Hydroxychloroquine in treating COVID-19. The HCQ trial is on trial is one of the four mega trials initiated by the organization.
2. Every year, May 28 is marked as World Hunger Day. The World Hunger Day is an initiative of the Hunger Project.The UN predicts that 2 billion are to come under poverty and face hunger by 2050.
3. On May 21, 2020, India became the second largest producer of Personal Protective Equipment in the world. China is the leading producer of PPE in the world.
4. Every year on May 21, India observes National Anti-Terrorism Day. The day is observed to mark the death anniversary of the former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
1.India’s GDP growth forecast for 2020 -21 at -4.5% : IMF’s World Economic Outlook report.
2. International Day of Yoga 2020 is celebrated on 21 June every year to create awareness globally about the benefits of practicing yoga. Vivekananda Yoga University, world’s first yoga university outside India, launched in Los Angeles (US)
3. Glenmark pharmaceuticals announced the introduction of an oral anti-viral drug for COVID-19 patients in the age group of 18-75 years with mild and moderate symptoms .Nearly 80% of all positive cases in India are in this category.
4. Actor Sushant Singh Rajput dies by suicide at Bandra home.
5. The first solar eclipse of 2020 is to take place on the summer solstice, which is the longest day in the Northern Hemisphere.
6. Iran issues arrest warrant for US President Trump, asks Interpol to help Iran.
7. June 28, Global Corona virus ( COVID 19 ) cases approach 10 million ( 1 crore ).
Compiled by – IMROZ FARHAD, SANSKAR CHOUBEY
NEEROZ WISHES EVERYONE’S WELLNESS. STAY SAFE.
IMROZ FARHAD NOOR is a co-founder and chief blogger of NEEROZ. He studied English Literature and Journalism. A number of articles, stories, short stories, poems have been published in reputed magazines and newspapers. He writes scripts for short movies, web series. He has been a radio announcer.He loves to read Psychology and Philosophy. He spends his spare time in drawing and playing basketball. He loves to travel. He speaks Hindi, English, and Urdu. ( learning Spanish ).